There are two types of transactions that we charge a fee for when using a credit card to make the payment:
- Taxes or government payments – these payments fall under the Merchant Category Code (MCC) 9399 i.e.:
- HMRC – If you're planning to make payments to government agencies you should be aware of the rules and restrictions they may have in place. You can find further information around their accepted payment methods on their websites.
- National Savings & Investments
- DVLA Vehicle Tax
- Student Loan Payments
- Transactions falling under MCC 6012, i.e.:
- Paying credit card bills
- Loans or mortgages with an underlying credit card selected in the Curve app
- Purchasing financial services or products from banks, Credit Unions, Deposit Takers
- Purchasing foreign or non-fiat currency such as cryptocurrency, travelers cheques or money orders
- Purchasing store value cards such as prepaid cards
Your underlying card issuer may charge you separate fees for making such transactions or ATM withdrawals, and Curve is not liable for such fees. Please refer to the terms and conditions of your underlying card issuer before attempting a Curve Fronted transaction.
These types of transactions remain free when you pay with an underlying Debit Card.
Curve Fronted outside the UK
Customers outside the UK will be subjected to the same 1.5% fee if they choose to pay a credit transaction with a credit card to a merchant with the MCC 9399 (Government Services). Curve Metal customers won’t be charged this fee.
I shouldn’t have been charged the fee
Has an incorrect fee been applied to your payment? You can have it refunded by using the ‘Go Back in Time’ feature to move the payment to an underlying debit card. If you move the transaction to another credit card, you may be charged by your credit card issuer.
Also, in case the payment you made is more than £1000, please get in touch with us and we’ll be happy to look into this for you! This must be done within 90 days of making the payment.
The Curve card and E-money is issued by Curve OS Limited (company No. 09523903) authorised in the UK by the Financial Conduct Authority to issue electronic money (firm reference number 900926). Mastercard® is a registered trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated."